Ora et labora
~St. Benedict

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pull 'Em Closer

Do you have a spouse that travels for work? Whether your spouse travels a lot or every now and again, it is never easy to run a homestead alone. And one interjection before I go on...hats off to single parents, like my mom, who did it ALL solo.

I tend to pull my boys closer to me when J travels. He is never gone long, but his absence is certainly noticeable. So, what do we do when dad travels?

That is easy, we spend extra time doing the small things that keep us bonded and closer. It may sound ultra simple, but I turn to hot tea.  TnT have their favorite flavors now (peach for Big T & peppermint for Little T), but once upon a time they would only take a few sips and let the rest sit.  The tea is not the point though, it is the love put into the act that is the meaning. 

                              


After our bellies are full and warm, we move onto stories. I let them pick out the books, and we snuggle as close as possible in our most comfortable pajamas.

                               



The boys delight in this time, and it gives me a sense of doing something wonderfully nurturing for my children.  It is that little extra "care" while dad is away that makes it seem not all so bad, and when dad returns they are always so excited to share their special experience with him.


No comments:

Post a Comment