Ora et labora
~St. Benedict

Friday, May 23, 2014

Ear solution for your fur baby

Our mascot/fur baby has another ear infection! We took him into the vet a while back and it was diagnosed as a yeast infection, not mites. He was treated and it eventually cleared, but now it's back.  We really don't know why he's prone to ear infections, perhaps the change of food when we went out of town. 



I looked it up and found out some information regarding the type of yeast, candida. Anyway, a friend of mine said she had a remedy even better than what the vet's office could offer.  She uses it on her Irish Setter and can not say enough positive things about the mixture.

I was more on the cautious side and investigated the recipe she gave me even further.  Apparently, it's been around for a while and originally made by a veterinarian.  Dog owners swear by it and it's safe for felines as well.

Step one is to flood the ear canals with the solution & massage in at base of ear.  Your pet will shake his/her head vigorously, so do it in an area where it's okay for a little splatter mess.

Then you administer 1-2 drop in each ear for 2 weeks.  You can wipe any excess wax that comes out with a piece of toilet paper or cotton. 

At first I was afraid to clean Nico's ears, but after his doctor showed me how, then I didn't feel like I could hurt him.

Their ear canals go down and then back (different from ours), so you can give the outer portion of the ear a good wiping without fear.  I simply hold the scruff on the back of his neck, bend his ear flap back and do what I have to do quickly. Amazingly, he doesn't try to scratch or bite, he just runs off after I let go.

When applying the drops, I quickly release the ear and fold over to shut so I can massage for a few seconds before he shakes...sometimes while he shakes.

And I had an extra pair of hands to help with the first two applications before I got used to the procedure and felt comfortable doing it on my own. Now I can pretty much do it one handed, while my other hand is holding the scruff and keeping him still.  I also find it better to sit on the floor and use my legs to sort of corral him.

I have completed 1 full week of the cycle.  For the first few days I saw a lot of dark waxy debris, but while cleaning his ears today, I noticed he didn't have as much. Once the two weeks are completed, he'll get another good ear inspection and hopefully it will be okay to administer the formula once a month for maintenance and use as a preventative. 

Blue/Purple Power Wash Recipe:





16oz Bottle Witch Hazel
4 Tablespoons Boric Acid Powder (found at local grocery store with medicines)
16 Drops Genetian Violet 1% Solution (Walgreens will order for you at no additional charge & it's inexpensive - I ordered off of Amazon) **Side Note, this solution is a dark purple & stains like a permanent marker in its concentrated form.
1 Dropper (I chose to get a glass amber bottle with dropper)

Mix all the ingredients into the Witch Hazel bottle and shake until everything is dissolved.  Be sure to shake before each use!

Please be careful and don't get into your or your pet's eyes!  

The above notes are what I'm doing with my small pet - upon researching a bit, I chose to amend the recipe to a lower dose and not flood the ears every time.  

The original recipe and treatment can be found at Woodhaven Labs.  




No comments:

Post a Comment