Ora et labora
~St. Benedict

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Tis the Season

Teaching compassion to children is so very important and one of the best ways to do so is caring for others that are less fortunate.  When you see a homeless person on the side of the road, what action do you take?  Do you give money or ignore them?  Perhaps you are not sure what can remedy the situation in the first place. 

I have talked to TnT at length about the homeless people we see quite often.  I explain that they are children of God just like we are and that they need extra special prayers.

We also make care bags to give out, and I was delighted to take the boys down to the Hancock Recreation Center where a group of homeschoolers were putting together 75 care bags for Mary House.

We have made our own care bags for several years now, but it was such a treat being with other children making personalized Christmas cards and filling the bags.




2 comments:

  1. Brandon told me that recently the great state of Texas has made it illegal to give a homeless person money even though they still stand on be arrested but the person giving them money can be arrested as well. I don't know if giving them a sack lunch or something along those streets collecting. Now not only can the beggar lines would be illegal but he did say giving money is now a crime....go figure??!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, there are several street corners where prospecting is big & I have not seen anyone get arrested.
    Aside from possibly being arrested, safety is high on my list, especially with the boys in tow. We like Mary House, because it's an actual organization that handles the distribution of the bags.
    However, I will continue keeping care bags in my car and handing them out when needed, unless an officer tells me otherwise.

    ReplyDelete